Solar street lighting questions
(Exc. VAT) - £0.00 - Inc. Vat
Solar Street lighting questions and answers
We are happy to be able to provide an answer to any of your questions
regarding solar lights or street lighting as this is something we are proud to
be associated with. Our knowledge is based on and over 15 years experience
within the battery storage side of the renewable PV market place and over 40
years within manufacturing environment supplying equipment and products.
Solar power is a genuine help towards cutting down on electricity costs.
Bespoke outputs suited to
localized situations providing high quality irradiance. So by providing bespoke street lighting systems mains power costs can be
dramatically reduced to zero.
Do solar street lights work
Ideally you need to understand the principles; solar energy is available
every day. Harvesting the energy and storing it for use later makes the task
complex depending on your needs. We offer and design a range of street lighting
systems that have specifically been developed. Our products are ideal for open
Weather conditions are widely responsible for climatic events
culminating in poor iridescence. Therefore to overcome this it is possible for
us to design a system that can appreciate weather patterns as we currently
Our street lights can be designed and provide a given battery storage
capacity for the LED lights based on that location.
Depending on what you are trying to achieve we can provide a solution.
Will they work all night
Usually we ask specific questions to understand your needs. The answers
provided allow us to determine this question. At certain times of the year the
irradiance may be limited so where possible we would build a product to satisfy
the limitation by scope. Understanding the prerequisite can allow us to build
autonomy into every product.
Are they good value for money, the answer is that they do not have
annual electricity cost. So based on our li-ion battery storage, a calculation
can be made on historical evidence proving the life expectancy of 2,000
plus cycles. Panels used are graded A tier one maximizing energy
potential at all times, This is optimized using multi pint point tracking
systems that are used to maximize potential PV energy sources, thus performing
charge operations as soon as possible to the ever changing weather patterns matching
our equipment configurations and algorithms; these are provided in Pb or Li-ion
style to provide maximum storage potential. Mechanical hardware is always
protected by corrosion resistant coverings. Where possible we try to offer all
material parts provided with a high quality control to match your needs along
the lines of ISO9001, this way we are able to manage the quality aspects so
that the end customer never has to.
Costs are based on individual needs and locations; we are always pleased
to discuss any informational needs that you consider would benefit your
What about planning
Usually a local community council will have access to the town planning
portal relevant to their area. Where individuals are unsure it is always
sensible to ask your local authority first or consult the Planning for England
and Wales, Planning for Scotland or planning consent for Northern Ireland.
Why use solar power, well because panels are based on a 20-25 years life
time energy expectancy results. This currently offers the most economical
method of generating renewable energy. Due to the angle of installations,
panels have an anti-salt and corrosion resistant coating on the glass so that
when rain is sufficient it provides a self-cleaning design to remove snow,
leaves and most debris, although bird rousting and other debris is not
something we are able to control. While our LED chip sets are based on 12-15
years of life dependency or 60,000 hours use, at ambient temperatures (critical
failures included). This ensures the low energy demand on storage components
and adheres to a low light pollution zone for the clear skies initiative. As
batteries are subject to changing temperatures, the cycles and charge rates
make it impossible to give an accurate life time, so battery manufacturers
instead offer a life based on cycles. As an example Pb provide a life cycle of
300-600 based on temperature fluctuations. Whereas Li-ion style
batteries offer upwards of 2,000 cycles, this depending on use and working
conditions. Electronic controls are manufactured and designed with a 3 years
warrantee built in. All mechanical apparatus such as metal battery boxes and columns
are prepared to last the average life of 20 years plus. As we normally offer
kits to customers, it is suggested that an annual inspection of all equipment
parts should be carried out as a matter of course to ascertain the condition of
Are they carbon neutral
We try to offer items around the ethics of being green to provide a
product that uses less Co2 or a lower percentage. Dragons breath operates a
facility that provides products that work within this prerequisite. The lights
will provide 100% reductions compared to standard mains power installations fed
from the national grid. The concept ideal is to provide a GREEN SOLUTION towards
combating increasing energy costs and light pollution.
Calculating the Co2 offset = kg CO2 per kWh 0.13
How much will they cost
Most interestingly the costs can be calculated in many ways.
The initial price of parts or kits would be relatively similar to
standard street lighting components. Without the costs derived from electricity
fed through the mains supply and the costs involved in trenching mains cables
Costs are therefore dependent on the style and makeup.
Electronic control and battery equipment parts are designed to last the
life of system along with the hardware. Therefore depending on the style and
location we can undertake a proposal to ascertain individual requirements and
The cost of ownership can be calculated. This is usually considerably
less than equivalent incandescent mains powered street lighting installation costs.
We offer on our products a sliding scale depending on what is ordered of
3 to 5 years.
LEDs and solar panel parts.
Based on historical weather conditions dating back to 1980 (36 years).
The weather conditions in the UK have predominantly stayed the same during
winter periods; although the evidence that the Met office suggests is that the
annual temperature over the winter period is increasing slightly, culminating
in the risk of heavier rain fall and other fluctuations during this time. As
our equipment parts are all located on top of columns or metal posts flooding or
high water table risks are eliminated. As solar panels work with refracted
light sources, this should not prevent future solar irradiance. E&OE
If you have any further Solar street light questions, then please send us an email.
Solar street light questions
Solar street lighting questions and answers.
- Question 1. When you install a battery powered solar streetlight with combined photovoltaic panel. Will a planning authority request be required.?
- In many cases local authorities are not objecting to the use of solar powered streetlights to illuminate areas where it is uneconomical to lay mains power cables.
- Question 2. How many lights do I need?
- Answer 2:
- In many situations the use of illumination is subject to the needs of that location. To understand the requirement, it requires the customer to answer some basic questions. These are as follows: Reason for light | hours of the day illumination required | occasional use or all year around.
- Question 3. What type of solar powered lighting would suit my request?
- Answer 3:
- There are many types of solar powered lighting systems available. The important thing to understand is that you will only purchase this equipment once. Therefore, the choice has to be based upon design and working parameters.
- Question 4. What are working parameters?
- Answer 4:
- The working parameter of a solar streetlight would be the quality of build | Would it be suitable for your location | has it got the correct equipment specification.
- Question 5. What sort of solar streetlight specification do I need?
- Answer 5:
- The specification of a solar streetlight starts with the location of the light, as not all will fit the bill. A solar panel will produce a different energy production based upon the latitudinal location. Therefore, this calculation must be considered.
- Question 6. Is the battery important?
- Answer 6: These are many battery types available, the physical characteristics can differ quite considerably between, what look to be similar units. It is important to understand the calculations needed to make any solar streetlight operate effectively and efficiently.
- Question 7. Should I purchase an all-in-one solar street lighting system or a multi-directional solar street lighting system.
- Answer 7: With every product there are pros and cons. With the all-in-one solar streetlight, it is important to understand that the solar panel is on the top of lighting system. This is ideal for climates that have the Sun’s horizon at 12 o’clock directly over the solar panel, such as locations where the suns energy is sufficient all year around. The multi-directional solar streetlights can direct the solar panel towards the suns horizon, making it more effective in locations where the sun is lower during the winter solstice. Such as locations in the Northern hemisphere.
- Question 8. How easy is it to install a solar streetlight?
- Answer 8: A solar streetlight requires a suitable column or post to attach the system against. If the column is exiting, then a retro fit solar streetlighting system can be mounted to an appropriate structure. If there no existing column in place, then it requires a suitable column to be sunk into the ground to accept the chosen solar lantern.
- Question 9. Will a solar streetlight need maintenance?
- Answer 9: If the solar streetlight is sized correctly, the unit should be self-governing and require zero maintenance. On the occasion that the said units have been set into foliage. Then once a year it should be examined and if required, the foliage or tree limbs should be pruned to avoid overshadowing the sun’s rays. It may also have been place at a position where birds may roost, on these occasions it will be necessary to clean the solar panel in the event of debris.
- Question 10. Solar streetlight warranty.
- Answer 10: The best solar streetlight units will offer a five year warranty.